Lumenhaus is a “power of light” zero energy modular house. Multiple modules can connect or stack with plug-in stairs and entryways. The Lumenhaus maximizes exposure to daylight and the energy collected during the day is used at night through a low-energy lighting system within the insulating panels. Virginia Tech’s Lumenhaus also Wins the 2010 European Solar Decathlon!
Lumenhaus employs many advanced building technologies.
- RADIANT HEATING IN CONCRETE FLOOR
- PHOTOVOLTAIC ARRAY AND ELECTRIC ACTUATOR
- TRANSPORT SYSTEM – allows the house to be transported easily
- INTERIOR LIGHTING – extremely energy-efficient LED lights
- HOUSE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM USER INTERFACE – computer interface that manages all of its systems
- RAINWATER COLLECTION
- GREYWATER RECYCLING
- ECLIPSIS SYSTEM – advanced building façade comprising two layers: a metal shutter shade and a translucent insulating panel.
- SUSTAINABLE MATERIALS
- PASSIVE ENERGY SYSTEMS LUMENHAUS optimizes the use of passive energy through day lighting, natural ventilation and natural passive heating and cooling.